Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Bit of Cooking Inspiration...

Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook: This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite veg cookbooks! I'm an avid reader of "Vegetarian Times" magazine, and this cookbook includes tons of their best recipes. So far, my favorite recipe has probably been the Black Bean Chili Pot Pie, which consists of a delicious black bean chili with cornbread on top - yum! Useful nutritional and cooking info (ex: how to properly cook grains and legumes) abounds, too.
Vegetarian Sandwiches: Fresh Fillings for Slices, Pockets, Wraps, and Rolls: This is a beautifully designed cookbook. I'm a sucker for tempting photos, and this book has them in spades. Of course, there are lots of interesting sandwich ideas in it, too. Some examples include: Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwiches with Tahini-Poppy Seed Spread; Open-Faced Crispy Tortilla Sandwiches; and East Indian Tea Sandwiches. The sandwich spreads and chutneys in the book are impressive as well.
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone: Honestly, no vegetarian kitchen is complete without at least one Deborah Madison cookbook. While the soups and stews are particularly divine, the entire book stands out for its sheer breadth of information. Every recipe that I've made from it has been fantastic. Moreover, the guides related to wine parings, knife skills, and kitchen utensils make this cookbook even more fantastic. From sauces and relishes to dals and desserts, "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" has definitely earned a spot on the top of my kitchen shelf.
A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes: Here is yet another visually appealing cookbook. Personally, I think it should be a companion to "Vegetarian Sandwiches," because really, what goes better together than soup and a sandwich? (The fact that both of the books are by the same author probably helps as well!) I particularly like the separate listing of vegan recipes, as well as the tips on substituting ingredients. Chapters with recipes devoted to "chilled" and "dessert" soups make this cookbook a standout, too.
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Meals in Minutes: I picked up this book while living abroad almost 6 yrs ago. It was the very first vegetarian cookbook that I'd ever purchased, and I fell in love with it right away. Although my version of the book has a different cover, this one appears to be the exact same thing. And while I admittedly don't use it as much as I used to, it does contain one of my all-time favorite soups. The recipe involves pesto and a difficult-to-find kind of bean, which pairs soo deliciously that CH asks me to make on an almost daily basis. Seriously! The only down-side to this cookbook is its heavy reliance on egg-based recipes.
The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets: This is the newest addition to my ever-expanding collection. The cookbook's author, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, also hosts my favorite vegetarian podcast, which basically guarantees that I'd love this as well. "The Joy of Vegan Baking" is jam-packed with recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, cupcakes, strudels, and more. Of course, it also contains oodles of information about vegan dairy and egg alternatives, as well as some great tips on how and when to use them. And, not only will this cookbook help me "veganize" my family's holiday desserts, but it's sure to act as an invaluable resource for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid to buy "The Joy of Vegan Baking" for fear that everyone in my household will balloon up to 1,000 pounds. Have you read VegNews magazine? I really dig that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!