Monday, September 15, 2008

This is a difficult post to write.

I've been avoiding writing about what I'm about to share because writing about it - putting the words in a permanent place - somehow makes the situation seem more real.

I keep telling myself that things will be alright and that I should keep certain things private (this is supposed to be a food blog, for God's sakes), but right at this moment, at this time, I need to let some of my feelings out...

CH's mother, a woman of amazing beauty and grace, is dying of cancer. It's a terrible, painful, frightening, unfair, and completely incomprehensible situation. She was diagnosed just over a year ago, and has been fighting like hell to beat it ever since.


I've known Suzanne since CH and I started dating almost 11 years ago, although I could never have predicted the impact that she would have on my life at that time. Over the years, I've grown to think of her as another mom, as well as a wonderful friend.

Suzanne invited me into her tight-knit family with open arms, and has always gone out of her way to make me feel loved and included. In fact, some of my fondest, early memories of dating CH include his parents. And although that might sound funny, they are times that I'm truly grateful for.

I've never met someone as strong, sincere, and intelligent as Suzanne is. Our conversations have ranged from politics and international travel, to the ins and outs of zoning laws and shopping for comfortable shoes. As a result, I've always loved the way that dinners with CH and his parents have drifted into 3-hour territory (regardless of where we all were or what time it was), solely because none of us could stop talking...

Suzanne is a force to be reckoned with - both at work and at home - and I absolutely love her for that. She's taught me so much about the importance of family, of standing up for your beliefs, and of following your dreams. And I am infinitely grateful to her for the unparalleled job that she's done of raising her kids - CH is an incredible boyfriend in no small part because of his mom.

My sincerest hope is that during these last few weeks Suzanne can feel her pain replaced by the warm embrace of her family and friends' support, love, and pure adulation, which is exactly what she has provided to all of us for so many years...

I'm so proud to have known CH's mom and simply can't imagine the world without her, but I do know that we are all better off for having her in it.

11 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that you're focusing on your gratitude while going through this extremely difficult time. Suzanne sounds like an amazing woman. Anyone who can fold her son's significant other into her family so thoroughly as to be considered a second mom obviously has an incredible soul. I hope you and CH are doing as well as can be expected during this time. Thank you so much for sharing with us in the blogging community. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CH's mother is in my deepest thoughts and prayers - I am hoping for the best!! Stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Though difficult to write, your post was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt that post was terribly difficult to write, but it was really touching. I hope you and CH are doing as well as can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JD - My family and I thank you sooo much for this post. Your love and support during this difficult and painful time has meant more than you will ever know. My mom tearfully said that you have an amazing way with words and that you have been a powerful influence on her. She said she loves you and knows that with you we are in good hands.

    Also, I want to thank all of the readers who have left such nice comments. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry JD. There are no words to describe the sorrow of losing someone close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts are with you and your family. I lost my dad not long ago to cancer so I really do know what you are going through. Just be there for Suzanne and know that you will all be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sorry JD to hear about Suzanne. She will certainly be in my thoughts, and so will you, CH, and the rest of your family. I hope that sharing this has brought you some comfort during these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this amazingly heartfelt post. People like her are truly a gift. I will send good thoughts to your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even know what to say when stuff like this happens! It's so sad that these things have to be just "part of life," because we really weren't made to suffer like this! It's just a reminder to be grateful for what God has given us and to truly value the things we have, while we have them. I only hope the best for you, Suzanne, CH, and the rest of your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!